Monday, September 21, 2015

Uncomfortable Narrative Short Essay

A lot of people assume that the theatre world is full of sensitive people. There is truth to this idea, as many of the artists and collaborators that succeed in the theatre world are extremely sensitive people. However, theatre is not a place for sensitivity, in fact, it often becomes a place where only the most thick-skinned people survive.
            Emma was one of the best dancers in our company. Raised by a professional ballerina and world touring guitarist, she always knew she’s end up somewhere in the arts. Emma was one of my cast members I knew I never had to question. Her commitment to dance and the show was unshakeable, almost to the point of endangering herself.
            Sitting in class with her one morning she pulled out her fitness schedule.
            “I’ve seen what costume I’m gonna be wearing and if I don’t stick to this exactly I’m going to look fat” she dropped casually. Carefully plotted on the page was the next three months and what she would be eating and doing for exercise every single day. I knew Emma was committed, but I also knew she has continually struggled with an easting disorder. One of my hard and fast rules as a stage manager is that the show is never more important than someone’s mental or physical health. This was a red flag.
            About a week later I called a meeting with the choreographer and costume designer. We chatted, bargained, and deliberated over a number of decisions about to be made for our show. At the end I brought up Emma, her fitness plan, and her past issues with eating and staying healthy.
            “I’m not mad about it,” the choreographer said as the only faculty member in the room. My costume designer looked at me with her eyes wide, understanding the weight of the situation.
            “Well let’s just be careful about how we speak to her about her body, I know this is something she’s struggled with,” I said in an attempt to help my best dancer out without offending my boss, the choreographer.
            “Absolutely,” my costumer designer said, in a reverent tone.
            A silent nod from my choreographer, and the meeting was over.
            I thought back to Emma. Her sandy brown hair, her small but expressive face that looks exactly like her mother’s. I thought of all the times I saw her excited about food, enjoying her life while managing her eating disorder. Then her spreadsheet, a manic reaction to her upcoming performance, where many eyes would be on her.

            I realize my choreographer is young. He doesn’t have any children. He doesn’t have a sister. He didn’t understand the weight of the situation. But that doesn’t mean he wasn’t to blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment