Lauren:
This anonymous letter was a great way to introduce your topic. As a white male writer, this letter really hit home for me. It is hard to grapple with the fact that my voice and background has been unfairly vaulted in literature for most of human history. In many ways, I understand the idea of giving up on writing, or at least feeling guilty about how my voice is treated. But if I understand the response correctly, I think it's more about using my privileged voice is aid in the representation of other cultures and perspectives, by monitoring my own exposure and the exposure of others.
Charlotte:
I especially liked Charlotte's Forbes article on emotional intelligence and the categories it was broken down into. I think the important thing to note is that this articles states that most people learn emotional intelligence through their families. I think this puts a huge onus on parenting within the realm of emotional intelligence that we haven't talked about, and I'd definitely think that would ne a interesting venue for Charlotte to explore.
Karen:
This is a great topic, individuality in American culture has really come to define anything and everything we do. We've talked about this a lot in my public essay class and I think it's a really important realization for western people to come to. Our rampant respect for the individual is truly a diving force at the end of the day in our society. Going all the way back to philosophers like DeCartes can show us how we've been trained to vault ourselves as individuals over things like community and society. I really liked this with the intersection of choice, as that also seems like something that has grown out of control in our culture. Through our unbridled individuality we subvert things like tradition and community, and I think probably has a large-scale emotional effect on us. This is definitely worth exploring and writing about.
No comments:
Post a Comment